Malte S. Stretz wrote:
Unfortunately had the raised warning level (I think Sidney increased the Windows /W-switch about that time, too) exactly the opposite effect :-/

I'm confused about whether "raised warning level" means more warnings or fewer warnings :-). As I recall, what I did was the equivalent of first adding -Wall and then turned off just a few specific warnings that are annoying and can't be worked around. You may be remembering that second step when you talk about the "opposite effect".

> even though it produced probably a warning for Dallas and Nathan,
> the initial size_t problem went on unnoticed

I'm in favor of building with the option to treat warnings as errors. But that may be too radical for everyone :-)

-- sidney