brad said:

> Running SA 1.5 / SPAMD -u nobody -d on a machine that accepts 88k mails
> per day.
> Today was the big test, and there was a huge failure.  The issue is that I
> get so many procmail processes opening that the CPU average on the machine
> pegs and the load average then causes sendmail to die.
> I get on an average 350 open procmail processes at any one time. 'ps ax
> |grep proc | wc -l"
> I need to figure out how to scale this.  The machine is a PIII with 512
> megs in Raid 5 configuration.

Hi Brad --

I'm not a sendmail expert, but IMO the problem is the number of
concurrent deliveries sendmail is allowing.

Basically a spam-check may take up to 10 seconds per mail, so
sendmail should run only a certain number of concurrent deliveries
(20 or so?) and wait for them to complete before spawning more.

Maybe a sendmail wiz could help...

--j.