Folks,

I've just been playing with setting up a SA config with exim (theres
probably going to be a SA HOWTO added to the exim web site once a few of
us get some text written).

There are 2 things that I think would make the integration a little
easier:-

  1. The ability to push a BSMTP stream into spamc, and have
     a BSMTP stream come out of it.   This makes transporting
     the addresses (envelope sender, envelope recipients) much
     easier and resilient to the worst excesses of shell
     expansion and/or command line length limitations.  This
     could be really good for a large scale system that pushes
     all incoming mail through a SA filter.

     Original idea was to have spamc de-encapsulate the message,
     passing the BSMTP straight through without touching it
     pushing the DATA content up to spamd, putting the returned
     content out followed by the BSMTP trailer.

     An alternative might be to pass the whole transaction up
     to spamd (with appropriate flagging), which might give
     spamd a chance to make decisions based on groups of recipients
     etc.  Theoretically it would also be possible to have it
     handle multiple user requirements, but thats going to be
     *really* hard when you are working with a single message
     to multiple recipients.

  2. The ability to pass a destination program and arguments
     to spamc and have it fork/exec that.  This is another
     wish to bypass shell command line tampering.  Its a minor
     requirement, but could have its uses.

I'm thinking about implementing both of these here, but would be
interested in comments, or if people are doing stuff in parallel to
this.

I'm also considering the idea of a direct hook into the exim 4
(experimental) filter hooks.

        Nigel.

--
[ Nigel Metheringham           [EMAIL PROTECTED] ]