On Sat, 2002-02-16 at 13:51, Charlie Watts wrote:
> On Sat, 16 Feb 2002, Mike Grau wrote:
>
> > My question is - is SpammAssassin ready "out of the box" to
> > differentiate between spam and non-spam "99.94%" of the cases or do I
> > need customized rules. The reason I ask is because I sent myself obvious
> > spam (free mortgage quote) and could only get a 3.6 hit rate.
>
> Frankly - no. That 99.94 number is a bit high, IMO. It gets a really high
> hit-rate against the spam in the spam corpus, but spam in the wild changes
> pretty quickly, and we all get a different sample of the stuff. I'd
> estimate it at about 90%.

Yeah, the 99.94% is really a "marketing" figure -- actual results are
probably more in the 90% range in the wild, as Charlie says.

> Then again, tools like the DNS blacklists and Razor can bring that number
> up a bit.

These do push false negatives, but they also increase false-positives,
depending on which RBLs you use.  I run with -L and am exceedingly happy
with the results.

> My customers are enormously happy with the thing, though. I don't know of
> a better product, commercial or open source.

That's because everyone on this mailing list is a genius :)

> > Also is the reference to /etc/spamassassin.cf in the "Welcome to
> > SpamAssassin" old and has been replaced by /etc/mail/spamassassin/* or
> > should I have them both?
>
> It is old. You should only have /etc/mail/spamassassin/*.

Yes, it is old.  I can't find the reference to /etc/spamassassin.cf in
the README, so I'm just going to assume that this is fixed in CVS.  I
guess it's probably time to do a new release soon then.

> > And one more - I want to use SpamAssassin only with site-wide
> > configuration. Should I run spamd with the -x switch to turn off
> > per-user config files or do I need the per-user config files for the
> > user that sendmail runs as? Do the white lists get written site-wide or
> > written to the sendmail RUN_AS_USER user?
>
> I run with -x and put my preferences into /etc/mail/spamassassin/local.cf.
> Can't answer your auto-whitelist question because I don't use it. I don't
> think that a site-wide auto-whitelist is recommended yet.

"-a", ie turning on auto-whitelisting, is not yet recommended.  It will
be recommended in the next release, ETA maybe one week or less.