Sorry about that, I used to be much better about not using // and only
/**/, precisely for cc compatibility.  I'll go through and fix all the
//'s

For personal installations, the Makefile should be able to read an
environment variable called PREFIX and install there.  I think you'll
need to hand-edit SpamAssassin.pm after installation though to modify
where it's looking for config files.  I'm not a perl installation
expert, so I'm not sure what the right thing to set PREFIX to is, but
probably something like:

$ PREFIX="$HOME/lib" make install

then edit ~/lib/Mail/SpamAssassin.pm around line 82-106 to fix the
default config file paths.

If you get it working, I'd gladly accept a README file patch, or even an
INSTALL file to add.

Thanks,