> Per. 5.6.1 (and maybe 5.6.0) can do a zero-width negative look-behind
assertion.
> Just add
>
>       (?<!\bes)
>
> right before "sex", and it won't match "essex" anymore.

        (?<!(es|us|le))sex

will handle essex, sussex, wessex and middlesex. Unfortunately it
has to be a fixed length look behind, so the word boundary and the
full match have to go.

The place where this originally occured was in a URL. In looking
for words, then there is already a word boundary in front of sex.
I don't know what sort of thing you really find in porn URLs.

This works for 5.6.0 and also 5.005_03

Geoff

UK-Human Genome Mapping Project-Resource Centre,
Hinxton, Cambridge, CB10 1SB, UK
Tel: +44 1223 494530  Fax: +44 1223 494512  E-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]