On Sat, May 11, 2002 at 02:26:55PM -0500, dman wrote:
> This completely depends.  First you MUST *profile* to determine where
> the hotspots are.  Maybe _those_ pieces of the program would be better
> in C or ASM.  Remember that 90% of the execution time is spent in 10%
> of the code (generally).  Rewrting the remaining 90% of the code in a

I think most of time is spent in DNS queries and many razor on my machine.
I've just made some quick stats on my machine since I've started running
sa-exim 1.1 which logs how long SA took.

Out of 1387 Emails,
194 took 1 sec
447 took 2 secs or less
794 took 5 secs or less
906 took 10 secs or less

482 took 10 secs or more
303 took 20 secs or more
180 took 30 secs or more
77 took 60 secs or more!
One took 96, one took 99, and one took 285 seconds!

I know  that a few  took longer than  that, but SA  then got killed  by exim
because  my  exim is  configured  not  to ever  wait  more  than 5mn  before
returning ok on DATA.
My mail server is not highly loaded, so  SA had all the CPU and IO resources
it could get  its hands on (I do about  3k Emails a day, and only  600 or so
are delivered locally and go through the SA check)

I am using spamd, but I'm pretty sure what's killing me are the rbl checks.

Forgive me  if this isn't  new, I've only  recently subscribed to  this list
(way too much mail already, I was trying to cut down, but never mind).

1) I have all default DNS checks enabled plus another 3 for all 3 mail-abuse
   lists.  That's probably at least 10 DNS checks.

2) I also use razor, I'm not sure whether there is a timeout, or how long
   it can take worst case. Info on this is appreciated

What can be done?
The RBL checks look smart and won't query the same zone several times, good.

However, since we're going to do up to 10 queries, and each can be blocking,
wouldn't it be better to fork for each DNS lookup (even optionally) and kill
the children if the DNS query hasn't returned in x seconds?
That way, since all the DNS queries are run in parallel, at worst, you spend
x seconds, not some unknown and unbounded amount of time.

Would  you agree  that DNS  is the  reason for  SA ever  taking more  than 5
seconds (in spamd mode)?
If so, are my fork/dns suggestions reasonable?

Or am I way off and is there another problem?

Thanks
Marc

Home page: http://marc.merlins.org/   |   Finger [EMAIL PROTECTED] for PGP key