> How many have you seen?  I suppose it's probably our fault; spammers are
> probably forging those domains precisely to bypass SA.  It might
> well be time to
> remove 60_whitelist.cf

The only one I've seen that might have been intended to deceive SA was one
with an @amazon.com address for no good reason. What I've mostly seen are a
couple of ebay-related spams that use @ebay.com addresses to look more
legitimate, and frequent paypal trojan messages (copies of paypal
newsletters with URLs redirected to a server that collects passwords) using
@paypal.com addresses to look like the real thing.

The main reason whitelisting seems bad right now is the last case -
whitelisting messages like that might actually cost someone money, not just
annoy them.

Since this sort of thing is becoming common, I've started using whitelist_to
instead for things like PayPal and Ameritrade, using a special address for
each. (I tell PayPal my address is [EMAIL PROTECTED], and then
whitelist_to that address since spammers have no way of knowing that
address.)

Here's an idea: keep the whitelist but make a separate
default_whitelist_from directive that acts the same as whitelist_from but
can have its own score, and use default_whitelist_from in 60_whitelist.cf.
That way (a) anyone can turn off the default whitelist with a single score
entry in a preference file, and (b) spam reports will refer to the "default
whitelist" so it's easy to diagnose when cases like this happen.

--
michael moncur   mgm at starlingtech.com   http://www.starlingtech.com/
"Efficiency is intelligent laziness."              -- David Dunham