On Fri, 2002-05-24 at 09:40, Matt Sergeant wrote:
> Marc MERLIN wrote:
> > On Mon, May 20, 2002 at 09:59:55AM +0100, Matt Sergeant wrote:
> >
> >>Ugh, looks like SourceForge installed a lame text filter that attempts
> >>to do virus protection (incorrectly, brokenly)... So my email didn't get
> >>through.
> >

> > Just in case you are curious, it's the "standard" exim mime filter, and it's
> > been there almost forever.
> > http://www.exim.org/system_filter.exim
> >
> > To save  on resources,  however, it  doesn't do real  parsing, it  only does
> > regex matching, which can obvioulsy be fooled.
>
> You'd have thought the least a header regexp would do is bind to the
> start of the line!

The problem with the exim filter stuff is it was never designed to be
able to do this and it *can't* bind to start of line (the string its
matching against is a concaternated set of lines from the message -
without newlines).

Its lame, I no longer use it much myself (theres a couple of places its
not been removed from) even though I wrote the thing, but its cheap
(money and MTA resources) and suprisingly effective against things like
Melissa (if I had 1% of the money saved by some ISPs by that filter
during the Melissa and its successors storms I would be writing this
from my state-of-the-art wireless networked laptop whilst sipping a cold
drink on a carribean beach :-) ).

        Nigel.

[Writing from a wet and miserable Harrogate]

--
[ Nigel Metheringham           [EMAIL PROTECTED] ]