> I'd like to use spamassassin to filter our e-mail.  However
> the poweres that be have dcreed that our mail service shall
> run on MS Exchange.  Is there a way to insert Spamassassin
> into the system so that it will filter incoming mail before
> it reaches the Exchange server?

I was looking on freshmeat yesterday for a replacement for our buggy old
qpage. Lucky me, I found MailScanner staring me in the face at the top of
the list.

I was looking at amavisd-ng or whatever. Scary. I'm looking to do this with
6000 or so users eventually, and I get nervous trusting that to something in
it's 0.2 release or thereabouts. Especially so short after the turmoil
between amavisd, amavisd-perl and amavisd-ng.

We are actually moving to Exchange from Notes as a result of being
assimilated by a much larger company. We have a Postfix external gateway, a
sendmail internal hub (you should see the internal routing we need to do)
and some virus scanners on NT. *Then* it's on to Notes or Exchange. The
original plan was to run spamproxy on the Postfix host. Now that I've seen
MailScanner (in a nice safe-sounding 3.2 release), I'm not so sure.

First of all it's not like I'm ready to flip the switch for all 6000 (today
I finally got 4 other beta testers involved). MailScanner allowed me to set
up on a test box that already ran sendmail and just alias those people out.
Procmail isn't exactly an option. It seemed the easiest solution I've come
up with so far. Second, it took all of 10 minutes to install and configure
MailScanner. Third, it makes no changes to your sendmail config. It just
runs sendmail in queue only and deliver from queue mode. Switching back on
the big day won't hurt too much. I hope. :)

I'm still not sure I believe this will work for a group that large, but I'm
willing to find out. :) Until then, I heartily recommend MailScanner for
ease of installation at least on RedHat. Oh, ignore their suggestions of
mucking about with your MX records and firewalling the Exchange server so
that the mail always tries it first and then fails. Mailertables (sendmail)
and transports (Postfix) do just fine, and you don't have to expose your
internal mail server's IP address (which incidentally I'm not allowed to
do). Split horizon DNS is your friend. :)

I think the easiest way to integrate SpamAssassin with Exchange is with a
Unix host running sendmail or exim (don't know anything about it).

bill

Health Services Corporation and are intended only for the addressee(s).
otherwise confidential information.  Unauthorized review, forwarding, printing,
be unlawful.  If you received this message in error, or have reason to believe
notify the sender by e-mail with a copy to [EMAIL PROTECTED]  Thank you