Skip Montanaro said:

> I've seen several recent references in SA-talk to "S/O" and "S/O Ratio".  I
> don't find it mentioned in the 2.30 sources I have laying about and googling
> for it didn't turn up any obvious winners either.  All I can think of is
> "Spam to Ollie ratio".  What is it really?

Spam-to-Overall Ratio: a Dan Q innovation! ;)  it's the ratio of spam hits
to all hits in a given corpus, ie.

                     nspam
    s/o ratio =  --------------
                 (nspam + nham)

(Excuse my use of the "ham" terminology, but I like it ;)

S/O ratio ranges from 0 to 1.0, and values nearer 0 mean more ham-hits,
values nearer 1.0 mean more spam-hits.  So 1.0 (for a normal,
non-compensation test) is a perfect 100% spam, 0% false-positive test.

Basically if a mail triggers any given rule, the rule's S/O ratio is the
probability that that the mail is spam.  (This means that it's exactly the
same as the P(x) probability values used in Bayesian probability, BTW.
[1])

Recently, it's what we've been using to measure test effectiveness.

([1]: In fact, it could be said that the proposed ranged GA evaluator
effectively uses Bayesian probability with a second, perceptron layer on
top, I think.)

--j.