http://www.iks-jena.de/mitarb/lutz/usenet/teergrube.en.html

I call this kind of delay introduction a "spambump", like speedbumps used to
slow you down in a parking lot. It does not surprise me that someone else
has already though of it.

Basically it consist of sending a continuation instead of "250 Mail
accepted" when the "." line is received.
When determined to be "not SPAM" send the OK, otherwise keep them on the
hook for X minutes before sending the reject message.

For production use, code would probably need adjustable maximum connection
times and adjustable maximum simultaneous thread or maybe something like
sendmail's load based processing deferral. Taken to a useful, robust
implementation is certainly not an afternoons worth of coding. But I think
the idea has a great deal of merit.

In addition to the per-line delay discussed, a smaller(?) per/character
delay could be used. You might even feed them Project Gutenberg public
domain works like the entire text of "The Count of Monte Cristo" (maybe even
in the original French?), or "War and Peace" in the original Russian in an
effort to educate the schmucks.

Sending the continuation message as noted in the Teergrubing web pages would
follow the RFC and would be nicer on false positives as they should actually
get the reject. Of course the load shedding logic isn't there. Maybe it
would be better to make a new sourceforge "SpamBump" milter project since it
is not really a SA function, but I am totally ignorant of the birth, care
and feeding of a sourceforge project.

There is just something about kicking a spammer in the ankles like that that
tickles me to no end, I am hoping maybe someone can help get the ball
rolling.