Vicki Brown wrote:
> I have had a response that it is "both" and that the "latest docs in CVS"
> should be "more up to date". I'm not sure where and how to find those docs
> but in any case I am at a loss.

As it often happens the developers were busy changing the code and left
some references to the old configuration files (ie .spamassassin.cf)
lying around. But someone sent a bug report and the documentation should
only mention ~/.spamassassin/user_prefs from 2.42 on.

Most perl modules have builtin documentation which you can see by using
'perldoc module_name' (eg 'perldoc Mail::SpamAssassin::Conf').
There are also manual pages for spamassassin, spamd and spamc.

> Why is ~/.spamassassin.cf removed? If ~/.spamassassin.cf is not required, why
> do the rules I place in my  ~/.spamassassin/user_prefs not get used? Why are
> my rules being written to ~/.spamassassin/user_prefs? Why are my preferences
> being overwritten?

User rules and preferences belong into the same file. Any rules in your
~/.spamassassin/user_prefs (or ~/.spamassassin.cf moved to this new
location) _should_ be used, but _only_ if users are allowed to have
their own rules ('allow_user_rules 1' in your site-wide configuration,
probably /etc/mail/spamassassin/local.cf, depends on the OS you're
using).
See also 'perldoc Mail::SpamAssassin::Conf' for information about the
restrictions placed on those user rules.

> I _REALLY_ dislike programs that delete or overwrite _my_ data files behind
> my back. I need this to stop. I have been saving backups of these files but
> each time SpamAssassin runs I lose my work. I consider this to be a nasty bug.

It's not a bug, it's a feature :-). Seriously, this behaviour was
implemented to help users in the transition to the new configuration
files. If .spamassassin.cf is detected it is automatically renamed to
user_prefs and moved to the (newly created) directory ~/.spamassassin/.

If you are using the debug switch '-D' for spamassassin or spamd, you
will see something like this:

  debug: migrating /home/kh/.spamassassin.cf to
  /home/kh/.spamassassin/user_prefs
  debug: using "/home/kh/.spamassassin/user_prefs" for user prefs file

It _would_ have been better to see this in the usual logging output, not
only when in debugging mode...

> WHAT is going on? How can I stop the deletion and overwriting of these files?

DON'T use .spamassassin.cf, only ~/.spamassassin/user_prefs should be
used.

ciao
     Klaus