I let Watchdog control SpamAssassin 2.41 on my OS X 10.2.1 server, from
watchdog.conf:

spamd:respawn:/usr/bin/spamd -x -u daemon #load spamd

When the computer boots it launches Watchdog last, from
/System/Library/StartupItems/Watchdog/StartupParameters.plist:

Requires  = ("DirectoryServices", "Disks", "Super Server", "Resolver",
"Network");

Yet spamd fails due to some MX lookup problem, from /var/log/mail.log:

Oct  6 05:29:53 admins-Computer spamd[426]: MX lookup died: Illegal division
by zero at /Library/Perl/Net/DNS/Resolver.pm line 818.  Bad file descriptor

If I then manually kill and then start watchdog it functions without problem
and launches and respawns spamd.

It seems some system is not ready or something is configured wrong so that
SpamAssassin can't launch during the Systemstarter process.

Does anyone have any ideas?

/Ian