On Sat, 19 Oct 2002, Mike Burger wrote:

> Well, since most people I know aren't stupid enough to type their email in
> all caps, I don't have to worry about those getting flagged as spam.
>
> If you've got people who email you in that manner, you might want to
> remind them that doing so is akin to yelling, as well as just plain ugly.
>
> On Sat, 19 Oct 2002, Jon Gabrielson wrote:
>
> > I would personally consider the following email spam, but
> > more to the point, I get very little ALLCAP spams, and the
> > rules LINES_OF_YELLING and UPPERCASE_25_50 are
> > more often flagged on legitimate mail.  I was wondering if
> > other people are finding that these rules are actually
> > effective in flagging more spam than false positives.

I can recall getting messages from 3 of my former bosses that were all
caps.  The one I mentioned it to said it was quicker for him so he didn't
have to try and remember capitalization rules. :)

I can also recall numerous help desk emails that were all caps.  In some
cases, I believe the users really would have been yelling if the
conversation had happened on the phone.

I'm not against having the rule.  I think the score should be kept low
though.  I've sent all caps subject lines numerous times.  Acronyms are a
wonderful thing.  I'd hate to have been scored high because of that.

Justin