What method of calling SpamAssassin from sendmail did you set up? procmail? mime-defang? milter? mailscanner? (and lots of others)

If you've not configured one of these mechanisms, that's why. Simply installing SpamAssassin only makes it available for things to use. It doesn't automatically force its way into your sendmail system.