Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2002 13:43:40 -0500
From: Theo Van Dinter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: Stephen Bader <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [SAtalk] Razor problem ?

- --AQYPrgrEUc/1pSX1

On Thu, Nov 14, 2002 at 12:17:15PM -0600, Stephen Bader wrote:
> around 2:30 AM, my pager start going nuts because the server had
> spawned hundreds of spamd processes, all trying to connect to the
> razor server.

Is this because you received hundreds of emails at that time?  If
you're
running Razor 2.20, SA's razor timeout feature doesn't work, so the
Razor call will be sitting there waiting for the server to respond.

> -m flag, because it cores. How is everyone else that is running
> spamd w/ razor handling the fact that when razor goes down, spamd
> doesn't timeout properly, or not for a very long time, and the
> system can run low on

I've never actually seen this problem, with the possible exception of
a mail server I have which was getting overloaded if a large spam run
came in hitting lots of addresses at once.  (I solved that by making
sure spamc runs serially across all of the addresses (mailing
lists)).

> resources as more and more processes are started? For now I've
> completely disabled razor, until I can come up with a solution that
> sanely handles problems with a connection to the razor server.
> Anyone have any
> suggestions?

I put in a patch to 2.50 which ought to make the razor timeout work
with Razor 2.20.  It was posted on the list before (it's a line or
two
addition).  After (by default) 10 seconds, the razor call should fail
and processing will continue as normal.

Look in the archives for a thread titled "Patching the Razor2 timeout
issue".

- --=20
Randomly Generated Tagline:
For the sake of argument I'll ignore all your fighting words.
              -- Larry Wall in <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

- --AQYPrgrEUc/1pSX1

Actually, I had a similar problem last night.  I posted about it in
the thread titled during Draining input.  Luckily I was up screwing
around with my server, so no harm was actually done, but I knew
things were screwed up when I got a spam message in my box that I
knew SA should have killed.  I looked in my maillog and noticed lots
of errors saying:

timeout waiting for input from local during Draining Input

So I killed spamd but there were about 6 or so processes running.
All was fine after disabling razor.  I had it off until about 4am CT
when I enabled it again...things were working again after that.
Randomly Generated Quote:
Programmers don't get sniffles, they
get a CODE.

Mike Loiterman