Another very significant speed killer is the DNS blacklists, particularly if you don't have a very reliable high-speed connection to the net.

Even with a good connection, I've wound up zeroing out a few DNS blacklists because the score contribution they make is too low to be worth doing a DNS query (which can take several second).

#first, zero some low-scoring DNS lists. <0.5 is NOT worth cost of lookup.
score RCVD_IN_OSIRUSOFT_COM 0
score X_OSIRU_DUL_FH 0
score X_OSIRU_SPAMWARE_SITE 0

You can also speed SpamAssassin up by shortening the timeout for RBLs, which reduces the amount of pain they incur when one goes down on you:

#the following reduces the time for a run of SA if a BL
# becomes unavailable or get bogged down,
#but risks timing out valid blacklist data.
rbl_timeout 5

If you know you have connectivity to your DNS server 24 hours a day, you can skip SA's "is the nameserver alive" checks:

#this speeds up SA by skipping a check to see if DNS works
#since xanadu is it's own dns server this is probably a good
#idea.
dns_available yes

At 05:56 PM 12/5/2002 +0000, Justin Mason wrote:

Matt Sergeant said:
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] said the following on 05/12/02 17:15:
> > Need performance boost on spamassassin. Any good suggestions?
> Buy faster machine.

But seriously -- try turning off some body tests.  They're killers,
speed-wise.  TRACKER_ID is a good one to lose, for example.

--j.