Mark Martinec wrote:
Tom,

- AWL is supposed to be per-recipient. Each recipient has its
  own automatically updated whitelist.

My assumption is this:
Blacklists against spammers are universal.

- amavisd-new has no way of telling SA what the envelope recipients are
  (SA can only guess that from the header, and this can only work
  when SA is called at the final stage from the local delivery agent
  (e.g. procmail), when there is already only a single recipient)

My assumption here is this:
I use HEADER and not Envelope. There is always one FROM address in either case and that is what you are really looking for when you are whitelisting/blacklisting.

| If you went through the AWL for the amavis user once for each | reciptient you would really screw up the AWL ratings, but the same | would be true for the Bayesian filter statistics...

Although Bayesian works best when it is trained for a particular
user, it is still _very_ useful with a single site-wide database.
Given a larger set of ham/spam messages to train, the lack
of specialization can be compensated to some degree.

I've heard differently from the bogofilter mailing list. I personally am starting to conclude that bayesian filtering is very difficult to get working correctly. It is too easy to skew the statistics and therefore pass the filters.

AWL on the other hand (as I understand it) is only useful
as a per-recipient information. (but I may be wrong here)

With respect to the spammers only, I believe, or am willing to believe that it works the other way around. What I am looking for is a History of the Sender more than specific recipient filtering.

| Is there any way to enable SA auto whitelist?  Or is it S.O.L.

You can turn it on, but it will always see only one a.w. list,
namely the one belonging to used amavis (or vscan)
- as things stand now. Some special AWL handling would need
to be devised, and it is not high on my priority list.

How might one enable this? Even one AWL would be very useful.
Unfortunately under the current build that I have, AWL is, for some reason, disabled or not functioning properly.

--
He that teaches himself has a fool for a master.
-- Benjamin Franklin