On Tue, 2003-01-07 at 23:56, Barry Jaspan wrote:
> Everyone, please calm down!
>
> The amount of confusion on this list is staggering.  One very important
> point that many people seem to be missing:
>
> Network Associates did *not* buy SpamAssassin!
>
> NAI bought Deersoft, Inc.  Deersoft develops and sells some products, and
> NAI now owns those.  Deersoft's products incorporate SpamAssassin, probably
> including some custom modifications to SpamAssassin.  But Deersoft did not
> own SpamAssassin, because it is open-source under the GPL or PAL.  So NAI
> doesn't own it, either.

I'm quite a newcomer to this list - the acquisition thread was one of
first things I saw here...

The one major problem, as I perceive it, with this deal is the absolute
lack of information from the directly involved.

They probably signed any number of NDAs during the negotiation, so
warning the community before the deal was complete was obviously not
possible. A short explanation to the list at the time when the deal was
published would probably have avoided most misunderstandings.

cheers
-- vbi

--
featured link: http://fortytwo.ch/smtp