Shane Williams <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> I wasn't arguing for body reporting, I turned that off long ago. :->
>
> I guess I'm concerned that having the report_safe on by default is one
> step from it not being optional.  As long as it's an option I can turn
> off, it's OK with me.

It will always be optional.  Also note that the old default was the same
way (except that the old defaults of "report_header 0" and "mime_defang
1" made it difficult to get at HTML email, blah blah blah).

I usually run SA without the body reports (I know what the rules do far
better by their names than the descriptions, anyway), although I've been
using the new report format to help test it.

I'm even looking into making it possible for the terse report format to
be even more terse than it is right now (maybe "use_terse_report 2"),
something that would just leave out the X-Spam-Report: for people who
don't want the long descriptions and so forth.

> [...] I'm also not totally against the new method, I just think it
> would have been better off by default so people could ease into it.
> That's what I'll do with some of my savvier users and see how they
> react, but most of them are happy with SA's current behavior.

Changing from the old default safe way (MIME defanged) to a new unsafe
way (no safe report) would probably have gotten us shot.  This was the
closest mapping of body reporting behavior we could reasonably manage
with the new method.  :-)

This was not exactly a seat-of-the-pants change for SA.  It took us
months of working on the patch, testing, and discussion.  It seems like
our biggest mistake was not mentioning the change in more places.

Daniel

--
Daniel Quinlan                     anti-spam (SpamAssassin), Linux, and open
http://www.pathname.com/~quinlan/   source consulting (looking for new work)