>       So when you disable spamassassin, the headers are written
> correctly?
===
        Apparently not.  This is what I'm seeing now -- it is the first line
that
is important/different (arrows added are mine)

From: John Cougar <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Laha, Arindam (CONS FIN  OTS CONTRACTOR)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: [squid-users] Streaming media caching
From: "la. w" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: [squid-users] script conv httpd log fmt -> squid native
=========

Now the SA version mentioned in the email

> > even figured out how Spamassassin is being called.  I see a
> directory added
>
>       That completely depends on the MTA; sendmail uses
> procmail which
> can then call spamassassin.
---
        Well son-of-a-gun...I'm slow...I still thought my emailer used 'mail'
to deliver...or maybe it
was mailx....anyway, guess procmail has 'grown up' a bit from being a simple
mail filter back in
the early 90's (that constantly was losing my email before it was
stable...:-))...

>       All the files in /etc/mail/spamassassin get
> automatically called
> for spamassassin configuration.
---
        All 1 of of them....local.cf:

ishtar:/etc/mail/spamassassin> moreo local.cf           (yes I add common
mistypings of more in my aliases file)
# This is the right place to customize your installation of SpamAssassin.
# See 'perldoc Mail::SpamAssassin::Conf' for details of what can be
# tweaked.
#
#
#rewrite_subject 0
#report_safe 1
rewrite_subject 0               (added these 3 lines after seeing your advice
to someone else about no rewriting --
                                also added to my home dir config)
report_safe 0
defang_mime 0

> > How does it know where to look for binaries?  I can't see
> any config files

123456789012345678901234567890123456789012345678901234567890123456789012345678
>       spamassassin (in a simple sendmail environment) gets
> called from
> /etc/procmailrc or ~/.procmailrc .  Those files search the patch (or
> specify a full path to) spamc/spamassassin.
====
        I have no /etc/procmailrc nor ~/.procmailrc:
ishtar:/etc> ll procmailrc
ls: procmailrc: No such file or directory
ishtar:/etc> ll ~law/.procmailrc
ls: /home/law/.procmailrc: No such file or directory

> > specifying what to call.  My .forward file still only
> references my mail
> > filter, so where / how does SA get called?
>
>       Sendmail on Linux generally calls procmail
> automatically; if you
> have a .procmailrc in your home directory, procmail uses that
> to decide
> where to put the message.  Otherwise it's sent to
> /var/spool/mail/{username} .
---
        I have a .forward file that calls my perl filtering script at this
point that tries to sortout the wad of messages that come in per day
into managable folders....

        Somehow the header has gotten mangled so that the first From
line (which used to be _so_ reliable for telling me if it was a 'direct'
from person, or through the mailing list.  For example your response --
both of them went to my personal folder -- whereas the one that came
through with [SAtalk] used to have it's from line contain the
email list-bot that re-echoed the message to me.  Quite handy -- especially
to catch those emails that were Bcc: to a list -- the From header still
told which list it came through.

        You can see in the headers above the list information is still there,
it's just picking up the original sender instead of the resender....

        This may have nothing to do specifically with SA -- which is why
I said it started happening right after I installed SA.  SA may have had
a perl-req or something else got pulled in that affected that header line --
since the header line is actually reconstructed by fetchmail which fetches
all my email via IMAPS from my ISP (yeah I'm chicken -- haven't setup my
own email receiver yet, so it bounces to my ISP where I pick it up every
few minutes).

        I guess my next place to explore is to see if somehow fetchmail
relies on something in perl that got updated or changed.  Computers used
to be understandable, but now there are so many different interlinks
and dependancies I'm not sure how one would design a self-checking fool-proof
system (but that's sure is what is needed, because computers aren't getting
any less complex, that's for sure!)

>       I have a tutorial on setting up spamassassin at
> http://www.stearns.org/doc/spamassassin-setup.current.html
---
        Very cool...will check it out as soon as I figure out why my
filter isn't working...having this volume of unfiltered email come in is
more work than spam -- since I can't just delete them. I have to put them
in their rightful folders! :-)

>       Apparently nobody knew the answer off the top of their
> heads.  I
> spent an hour looking for what I though might be an answer to your
> question and came up dry.
----
        Ouch....my problems tend to be like that.  93% of the the time they
aren't something obvious but some insidious interaction that probably had to
do with some planetary alignment or something causing a stray gamma ray to
hit 1 bit in my Dell, expensive, no-parity RAM. :-=/

Thanks for the reply....
linda