On Mon, 9 Jun 2003, Scott Rothgaber wrote:

> Good Morning!
>
> After hearing about SpamAssassin on the BSDI-Users list I decided to
> build a box and check it out. Most impressive! I'm running v2.43 from
> the FreeBSD 5.0 ports collection.
>
> Questions:
>
> 1) This version seems to be doing the trick for me. I'm still tweaking
> some of the values but I'm confident that I can make it work the way
> that I want. Is there some other reason that I should upgrade to 2.5?

Yes.  2.4x is old.  It's antiquated.  It's actively being thwarted by
spammers.  Would you run anti-virus software that hadn't been updated in 8
months?

You have to keep SA up to date.  Spammers are targetting rules in older
versions specifically to get their spam through.  New spam techniques are
not caught by ancient copies of SA (8 months in ancient in the world of
spam).  If there is anything on your systems that you must keep up to
date, SA is it.

> 2) If I should upgrade, what is the procedure? I did not see this on
> the Web site.

That would depend on some of the fancier features you might be using.  As
for me I call SA from MIMEDefang so I can't use the auto-whitelisting and
Bayes which slow the upgrade process.  I just installed 2.54 to replace a
troublesome 2.60-cvs installation.  The process took about 15 seconds from
configure to make install.  I then downloaded 2.55 which took another 30
seconds.  I unstuffed, configured, compiled, and installed it in another
30 seconds.  It's really not that hard.  Few if any people ever need to
change a compile time option.  The only time you need to be leary about an
upgrade IMHO is if you're using a feature that maintains some sort of
database like bayes or AWL.  SQL could also potentially break.  Other than
that installs are a piece of cake.

I'd highly recommend updating and staying up to date.

Justin