At 20:05 9/06/03 -0700, Aaron wrote:

My mistake. It only removes those headers if report_safe is set to 1. When set to zero, even though the message is spam, the headers remain intact. I think I knew that, but my brain farted there when I was writing that email. :)

:)

At any rate, this is verified by taking a raw message with those headers present, and *manually* running:
spamassassin.bat < test.msg > test.out

Indeed.

With report_safe at 1, test.out does not have the "return-path" or "envelope-to" of the original. I will note that those headers *do exist* in the email attachment that report_safe includes in this new message.

So... when report_safe creates this new email with the original as an attachment, why doesn't it include those all important headers? Is that normal? Does that work for everyone but somehow my install is broken? You mentioned that in report_safe 1 or 2 it doesn't include those, so I'm assuming this is normal.

No, it's normal, report_safe 1 and report_safe 2 mode basically generate a *new* message and attach the spam as an attachment. In report_safe 0, the original message is kept, but modified. (Extra headers added and maybe subject rewritten)

So in the first case none of the original headers remain, while in the second they do remain.

The problem is that the script that you're using with Communigate *assumes* that the X-Envelope headers will remain intact, most likely because that script was written before SA 2.50 when report_safe was introduced.

Most mailserver configurations don't rely on message headers to know where to deliver the message to after filtering and therefore don't have this problem. As I mentioned in my previous message, doing so is technically *wrong* anyway.

Until someone comes up with a better integration script for SA + Communigate, you'll have to use report_safe 0 mode....

Regards,
Simon