The trick we use here for users who don't want their spam is to pipe it, via
a maildrop script, into the Trash folder of their account on our IMAP
server.

Benefits:
1: They can check it via web mail, or via their client if they're IMAP4
users.
2: It gets autodeleted from the Trash folder after a week.
3: POP3 users don't download it; they get what's in their root folder, not
subfolders.
4: Being in the trash folder, it doesn't count against their quotas.

It's the best of all worlds, or at least, the closest I can come to it.
Email doesn't get deleted arbitrarily, but users who choose to trust the
system can do so.

Oh, and our webmail client also has the interface for users to deal with
their per-user settings in a SQL backend. :-)