At 20:19 15/06/03 -0700, Ed Kasky wrote:
At 08:19 AM Monday, 6/16/2003, Simon Byrnand wrote -=>
> Does anyone have any ideas as to why it would take 3 seconds to do the
> following:
>
> Jun 14 07:28:29 yoda2 spamd[1289]: debug: entering helper-app run mode
> Jun 14 07:28:32 yoda2 spamd[1289]: debug: Using results from Razor v2.34
>
> If I turn Razor2 off, I get times of .5 to 1.5 seconds. Otherwise it's 3
> 4.5.
>
> Could this be related to cpu speed or dns or my setup?
>
> Inquiring minds want to know ;-)

Hi Ed,

Check back through the archives for messages from me for an explanation of
what it probably is, but to cut a long story short, try adding -H to the
end of your spamd options...(also if you use the -u option for spamd, make
sure the spamd user account really has a home directory)

Adding the -H to the spamd options had the desired effect for sure! Average processing time was between 3 and 4.5 seconds. Now processing messages .5 to 1.5 seconds.

I could not however find the explanation in the archives but did read through the man page for spamd. Am I correct in assuming that by having a home directory specified for the helper-app, it doesn't have to look for one and saves the 3 seconds ??

Jun 15 16:01:19 yoda2 spamd[3543]: debug: entering helper-app run mode
Jun 15 16:01:19 yoda2 spamd[3543]: debug: Using results from Razor v2.34

(Or something like that???)

What happens without -H is that when spamd does a setuid() to another user (other than root) the environment variable $HOME which is passed to helper apps like razor is still pointing to root's home directory. Of course razor can't save its files in /root when its running as another user so it has to do its server discovery process for every single message. (which takes 3 to 4 seconds)

With -H razor can cache the results of its server discovery and only do it occasionally...

If I remember correctly, Theo put a fix for this into 2.60-cvs...

Regards,
Simon