One of the few false negatives I mentioned in a recent message was an
HTML spam, where the HTML message was encoded as base-64.

The start of the message body is:

--------------

------=_NextPart_F83_4BC1_E4708BB4.69BBB339

------=_NextPart_F83_4BC1_E4708BB4.69BBB339

PCFET0NUWVBFIGh0bWwgUFVCTElDICItLy9XM0MvL0RURCBIVE1MIDQuMDEg

--------------

The subject line was meaningless lower case characters with some spaces.
  SA 2.55's analysis was:

    tests=BASE64_ENC_TEXT, BAYES_44, NO_REAL_NAME, PRIORITY_NO_NAME,
    USER_AGENT

Netscape 7.02 reads this message loud and clear and displays it as HTML
- just text with links to the spammer's site.  In its original form it
had Javascript text colour changes on mouse-over over the links, but
after going through Anomy Sanitizer (after SpamAssasin decided it was
not spam), these were disabled.  So Anomy Sanitizer
(http://mailtools.anomy.net) must have unpacked the base-64 encoding,
read the HTML, and written back a new base-64 encoding after modifying
the HTML.  Indeed, looking at the pre- and post- filter versions of the
message, the base-64 blocks start the same but differ in content and length.

Does this mean that SpamAssassin is blind to the contents of base-64
encoded HTML?  If so, does this mean that spammers can use this to
bypass many of SpamAssassin's tests?  I never would have asked this
before because I didn't know that HTML could be sent this way.  Anomy
Sanitizer is hip to base-64 encoding.

I tried changing the message header so this base-64 was "Content-Type:
text/plain;" and the HTML contents of the base-64 block displayed as
plain text.  Does this mean that base-64 encoding is a way to send
messages to be displayed as text too?  That would be a nasty misfeature
of the entire email system I think - for messages to be sent and
received like this in a way which resists filtering and searching.

  - Robin