At 12:55 PM 6/19/2003 +0200, TeamHost Limited wrote:
Hello list.

Is it possible to use spamassassin before it reaches the server??

We would like to implement it on a firewall system which is set in front
of our servers.
Would this be possible?
Has anyone done that yet?
What is needed?

No, this is fundamentaly impossible. A firewall can modify packets (ie: the cisco PIX) to modify the behavior of a SMTP session, however it would be impossible (or absurdly difficult at the very least) for a firewall to be sufficiently stateful to buffer an entire email and handle the entire transaction.

Even if you were to do that, your firewall would now effectively be a full-blown mailserver of it's own, that runs SA and then passes inbound email to an internal mailserver. And let's face it.. at that point you may as well do a two-mailserver setup.