Hannu Liljemark said:

> Create initial DBs manually with SA's tools and MIMEDefang can't
> access them. Let MIMEDefang create them and SA's tools will
> create DBs of their own with DB_File.
>
> Any bright ideas? I'm posting this to MIMEDefang list as well,
> before some gets the urge to point me there :-)

Yeah, there's a known bug open in the SpamAssassin bugzilla.  The big
problem is that both projects are using AnyDBM_File, but that module is
pretty badly-designed as an OO perl module; it has side-effects on all
other code in the perl interpreter. :(

Here's how: AnyDBM_File lets the developer specify their preferences as
to what modules they wish to use for that DB.  But those preferences are
*global* for the entire perl interpreter.

So when SpamAssassin is loaded first, it specifies its preferences with
DB_File first; when MIMEDefang is loaded first, it either does not specify
any preferences, or lists them with DB_File later in the list, after the
(default, if I recall correctly) NDBM_File.

Hence the difference.

We plan to drop support for AnyDBM_File in 2.70, and just use DB_File
directly (and/or add our own middleware layer to proxy to other db
systems, including SQL).

--j.