> Spammers are stupid, but spamware authors,
> well, on the whole i'd say they're intelligent but
> dysfunctional.

I guess I just have a semi-obsolete view of the world.  To me, intelligence
put to bad use isn't necessarily intelligent--it's either sinister or
stupid.  It's a bit like the worst-case epitome of a used-car sales rep.
Sure he may do quite well at scamming some folks into purchasing junk, and
his ads may also be quite intelligently designed, but on the whole, does
that really count as intelligent?  They're clever--I'll give them that
much--but intelligent in my mind requires a whole new level of thought.

> Last time I felt that I was looking at a tag <Q
> CITE="load-of-random-looking-crap"> and it led me to
> discover that y/[EMAIL PROTECTED]/[EMAIL PROTECTED]/
> made that random crap into the recipient email address.
> I like to follow my instincts, they're usually right on anything
> except women :)

*This* is intelligence: Discovering something unusual, disseminating the
data, and putting the knowledge gained from this experience to good use!

As far as the women part goes, that's a touchy subject with me.  I've gotten
myself into sooooo much trouble with them...  Granted, trouble *can* be a
good thing,

> Forget euros, dollars, pounds, they're all obsolete,
> measure everything in halves, pints, pizzas, and full-nights-out

I guess I'm a blasphemer.  I've never had an affinity for alcoholic
beverages of any sort.  I love to cook with them, but I simply cannot stand
the odor let alone the taste.  I guess this is a bit unusual even for an
American, considering that by 21, it is almost a rite of passage to get
completely plastered at least once.  I suppose I enjoy my coherence more
than most normal folks do...

> Does that not simply add credence to the spammer's
> claims that anyone who is against spam is an anti-
> commerce radical, anti-american internet terrorist?

Yes, but once in a while it is necessary to crush the opponent with
overwhelming force.  I'm also slightly fascist.  I guess I fit the acronym
BOFH, too.  For the record, I have no idea why I said "worm" instead of
"trojan."  I guess the words "midnight" and "tired" are as good a reason as
any...

> they scrape email addresses to send to, I scrape spamware
> signatures, spammy words, and ip addresses to delete from :)))

This is precisely why I feel that spammers are bottom-feeders...  *grin*

> semi-bad suggestion. I do have a better one along similar
> lines, which I know for sure works, I just don't shout about it
> in public. :))

If it has something to do with castrating them using little more than a dull
wooden spoon, mineral spirits, and some yarn, I'm all ears :-)

Speaking of, I have no idea if this worked, but I received some spam about a
year and a half ago that had a URL with the recipient's address in it for
"unsubscription."  Curious, I carefully copied the URL and added a
completely bogus address--and it accepted it.  I have no idea if they were
verifying address that way or even if it was adding those address to a
database somewhere.  But regardless, I wrote a script (in PHP... I know, I
know) which would connect to the server and send a GET query with a
completely random address.  I ran this script all night for about 20,000
iterations.  So, *if* it did work... then there's some idiot out there with
about 20K worth of fake addresses.  Again, I'm sure it didn't work but it's
sure nice to dream, isn't it?

~Benjamin the Fascist ;-)