> At Fri Jun 20 11:13:52 2003, Alexander Litvinov wrote:
>> On ðÑÔÎÉÃÁ, 20 éÀÎØ 2003 16:57, Simon Byrnand wrote:
>> > Just wondering if any updates have been done to the nigerian rules for
>> 2.60
>> > ?
>> >
>> > I notice that all the recent ones I've seen lately seem to start with
>> >
>> > "FROM THE DESK OF" for example:
>> >
>> > FROM THE DESK OF DR.ANDREW.KAllIBAH
>> > PAYMASTER GENERAL OF THE FEDERAL REPUBLIC
>> > OF NIGERIA.
>> >
>> > I might be mistaken but 2.55 doesn't seem to have a rule that matches
>> on
>> > this particular phrase.
>>
>> It seems to me catching such spam is the work for bayers filter.
>
> That may well be the case.  But don't forget that not everyone uses
> the Bayesian capabilities of SpamAssassin - either because they choose
> not to, or because they can't.

Also, its been my experience that Nigerian spams, by their nature are very
problematic for bayes. I've repeatedly trained Bayes Manually on various
Nigerian spams, and it never seems to stick.... I still keep seeing
Nigerian spams with no bayes score, and sometimes negative scores.

Also there are already a lot of tests for nigerian phrases, and they could
probably do with some updating....

Regards,
Simon