[EMAIL PROTECTED] ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) had this to say on 07/07/03 at 22:20:
> Hi All,
> I've got spam assassin working like a dream on our small sendmail box.
> works like a bought one.    what i want to do is setup a gateway arrangment
> for an Exchange Server (everyone shudders, i know).
>
> like so:
>
> Internet  ->  Linux Sendmail with SpamAssasin ->  Exchange Server
>
> has anybody attempted such a thing?  i've been searching google for quite a
> while and not found any howtos...    on the sendmail box i'm attempting:

I do exactf;ly this, but with postfix calling amavisd-new, which calls SA,
and then forwards to my Exchange 5.5 server.

> 1.  that i don't need to create accounts for everyone on the exchange
> server?

Correct. I defined my Exchange server domain as a "relay domain", and I only
accept email for users in that domain that are listed in a table.

> 2.  that it sholdn't deliver to the linux box at all, but simply scan and
> forward.
> 3.  no mail will be deleted, but will simply have the spam score in the
> message header and the Spam in the subject line.  then the users of the
> exchange server will be able to filter based on Spam Score or the subject
> line or whatever.
> 4.  I don't need to scan outgoing mail but i guess that wouldn't hurt as
> well.

I actually quarantine any spam above a certain limit (i.e., sends to a
special mailbox on the Exchange server), and make good use of RBL-checking
by postfix.