On Sat, 2 Aug 2003, Martin Radford wrote:

> There's also an FAQ on the web -
> http://spamassassin.taint.org/faq/index.cgi?req=index

I did look there first, but my questions weren't addressed. :-(

> If you're concerned about re-asking questions that have been asked
> before, then the best thing to do is to search the mailing list
> archives - see http://www.spamassassin.org/lists.html for their
> locations.

Thanks.  Unfortunately, I didn't have a lot of luck with it.  I found
one guy asking one of my questions, but it doesn't look like anyone
answered him.

> On the other hand, the whole point of a list is to ask questions, and
> as long as you show the ability to post sensible questions and learn
> from the answers :-) I'm sure no one is going to mind.

Ok - here goes.

I've currently got things set up so that my mail is filtered through
procmail, sending mail from my "approved" address and subject lists
directly to my mailbox, sending mail from my "denied" address and subject
lists to /dev/null, and the rest goes to SA.  This may or may not be the
best way to do it.  I'd appreciate any opinions.

My primary question is this - I've got version 2.54, which is nearly the
latest version.  But the spammers are customizing their messages to fool
this current version, and I get a fair amount of spam every day.  I have
to believe that you all are finding ways to plug these holes, and
perhaps you're all sharing these new rules somehow.  At least that's
what I'm hoping.

Lately, I'm getting a lot of spam that is primarily a simple email with
little more than an image with a link.  A similar one is a paragraph of
seemingly random words, followed by the image/link, followed by another
paragraph of random words.

I've seen a lot of reference to the Bayes database and sa-learn, but I'm
having a hard time finding somewhere that it explains it all and how I
can utilize it.

Thanks again for any help.

--pat--
--