Simon Byrnand wrote:
> Why would anyone submit the SA list to DCC ? The only people receiving the
> SA list should be people who subscribed to it, and would have no reason to
> go submitting it to DCC, so I don't follow your reasoning...

I don't know how to make this sound less quib than just by saying that
it is not.  Please review the DCC documentation.  I feel confident
that you have not read it because you could not have missed reading
this there.  DCC is not about spam.  It is about bulk mail.

But knowing the bulkiness of it can be a good indicator of a message
being spam.  Which makes the information that DCC provides very
effective in the battle against spam.  By taking that stance they
avoid all of the trust issues which have plagued Razor.  Which tidies
up the problem considerably.

Here is one executive summary version:

 http://www.rhyolite.com/anti-spam/dcc/dcc-tree/dcc.html

  DESCRIPTION

     The Distributed Checksum Clearinghouse or DCC is a cooperative,
     distributed system intended to detect "bulk" mail or mail sent to
     many people.  It allows individuals receiving a single mail
     message to determine that many other people have received
     essentially identical copies of the message and so reject or
     discard the message.  It can identify some unsolicited bulk mail
     using "spam traps" and other detectors, but that is not its
     focus.

     [...]

   How the DCC Is Used

     The DCC can be viewed as a tool for end users to enforce their
     right to "opt-in" to streams of bulk mail by refusing bulk mail
     except from sources in a "white list."  White lists are the
     responsibility of DCC clients, since only they know which bulk
     mail they solicited.

     [...]

     A DCC server computes a lower bound on the total number of
     addresses to which a message has been sent by counting checksums
     reported by DCC clients.  Each client must decide which bulk
     messages are unsolicited and what degree of "bulkiness" is
     objectionable.  Client DCC software marks, rejects, or discards
     mail that is bulk according to local thresholds on target
     addresses from DCC servers and unsolicited according to local
     white lists.  DCC servers are usually configured to receive
     reports from as many targets as possible, including sources that
     cannot be trusted to not exaggerate the number of copies of a
     message they see.  Any mail sent to what a client individually
     considers a "spam trap" can be seen as "definitely bulk," but not
     necessarily unsolicited by other DCC clients.  An end user of a
     DCC client angry about receiving a message could report it with
     10,000,000 separate DCC packets or with a single report claiming
     as many targets.  An unprincipled user could subscribe a "spam
     trap" to mailing lists such as those of the IETF or CERT.  Such
     abuses of the system area not problems, because much legitimate
     mail is "bulk."  You cannot reject bulk mail unless you have a
     white list of sources of legitimate bulk mail.

 http://www.rhyolite.com/anti-spam/dcc/FAQ.html#mark-only

  Why is mail from my favorite mailing list marked with an X-DCC header
  line that says it is spam?

    Sources of solicited bulk mail including mailing lists to which you
    have subscribed should usually be in your DCC client white list so
    that they receive no X-DCC header lines.

  Why do legitimate mail messags have X-DCC header lines that say they
  are "bulk"?

    There are several possible causes of such problems. The first and most
    obvious is that the mail is solicited bulk mail and that the source
    needs to be added to your white list.
    [...]

  How can I avoid polluting databases of DCC servers with checksums of
  my mail that is not spam?

    Reports of checksums with white list entries in your server's
    database are not flooded to its peers. The checksums of messages
    white-listed with entries in local dccm or dccproc white lists are
    not reported to DCC servers. It is good to add entries to DCC
    server and client white lists for localhost, your IP address
    blocks, and your domains if you know that none of your users will
    ever send spam.

    However, in the common mode in which the DCC is used, no checksums
    of mail are pollution. Checksums of genuinely private mail will
    have target counts of 1 or a small number, and so will not be
    flooded by your server to other servers. Strangers will not see
    your private mail and so will not be able to ask any DCC server
    about the checksums of your private mail. On the other hand, the
    DCC functions best by collecting reports of the receipt of bulk
    mail as soon as possible. That implies that it is generally
    desirable to send reports of all mail to a DCC server.

    The DCC flooding protocol does not send checksums with counts
    below a DCC server's bulk threshold to other servers.

Bob