>> you'd get the benefit of your own private instance of an SA "daemon"
>> which would automagically disappear after a while of no activity.

M> If you want to run SA as daemon, run the SA daemon. :) It seems silliness to
M> try and daemonize spamassassin, whereas spamd is right there, available to
M> you.

Ahh... but with an automagically daemonized spamassassin, you get all
the benefits of the private config files and bayes db without hackery
in spamd to change owner, read configs, etc.

M> spamc/spamd in speed, and nor does PersistentPerl. And how could they? The
M> fork () call is hard to beat. :) Besides, there are quite a few pitfalls

Ummm... I fail to see how persistentperl in this manner would be
different than spamd+spamc.  You still fork/exec spamc and it talks to
spamd and gets an answer.  With persistentperl, a tiny front end is
fork/exec'd and comunicates to the existing (or newly created) backend
which remains persistent.

The only thing you lose is pre-forking of additional server processes,
but at much greater simplicity for the average joe... and the only
thing you change is the #! line in the main program.

M> using persistent perl in general. Granted, PersistentPerl is a lot better
M> than pperl, but the pitfalls no less deep. Like the way global variables
M> retain their value on startup, which can yield quite unexpected results.

Globals?  Who uses globals?  Everything should be encapsulated in an
object anyway, or can be made into lexically scoped "my" variables.
This solves the "problem" handily.