On Fri, Aug 08, 2003 at 02:35:38PM -0400, Jean-Paul Natola wrote:
> Well here's the scenario, (and no comments from the anti-windoze )
> we have a windows 2000 network

> active directory etc.. I will be deploying an exchange server (free
> for non-profits) a few macs here as well.

> I cannot get a discounted SPAM or FIREWALL we are very tight $$$$
> here.

> My plan is ipcop between the isp and us, SA between IPcop and mail
> server. I am even considering using ISA (again free for non-profits)
> as another line of defense as well.

> all comments thoughts and critiques are welcomed :)

See if you can get someone to donate a junker 486 or Pentium and
a couple of Ethernet NICs. These frequently are available for not
very much at all, and lots of places will let non-profits have
their discards. It doesn't need to be very fast to move a lot of
traffic from one NIC to the other, using ipfw or iptables to
filter packets.

Install Linux or FreeBSD. These can be obtained free.

Use this machine as a firewall. Iptables or ipfw will serve you
well.

--
Mike Andrews
[EMAIL PROTECTED]