In a way, yes. We have no users on our SA gateway as they are all in SQL. Now Spamassassin runs as a unix user (amavis in our case, since we are using amavisd), so when I initially filled the bayes DB I did it for the amavis user. You can also put a bayes_path directive in your local.cf so that all users on that box use the same bayes db (which would only really lets you run sa-learn as root/etc in this config, which I do since I'm lazy:).

Also with the auto learning of spam/ham in Spamassassin, the bayes db will be in a constant state of change, in that more recent spam (score greater than 15 by default) will have precedence and older entries will be expired from the database. This how I understand that it works at least, could be wrong though.

Ryan Moore
----------
Perigee.net Corporation
704-849-8355 (sales)
704-849-8017 (tech)
www.perigee.net

Ricardo Kleemann wrote:
Thanks.

I know SA can handle user prefs via SQL, but can it also
handle bayes learning from users in SQL?

What I mean is, my email users are in SQL, they are not
regular unix users, which means that there's no unix user
uniquely mapped for spamc to run as. So I'm stuck with using
a generic user, unless SA is capable of running with "sql
users" rather than "unix users".

I'm not looking to add user prefs, which I know already is
possible with sql. I'm looking for the ability to build
bayes databases for "sql users". Is that possible?

Ricardo

----- Original Message Follows -----

Trying to seed the Bayes databases with other people's
spam probably  isn't a good idea -- the whole idea is that
it learns what *your* ham  and spam look like.  Filling it
up with mail from other sources is  probably just going to
lead to innacurate results.

Ricardo Kleemann wrote:

I've trained my bayes database with about 12,000 spam and
7,000 ham messages, but I was wondering if there are much
larger archives available for seeding bayes?

------------------------------------------------------- This SF.Net email sponsored by: Free pre-built ASP.NET sites including Data Reports, E-commerce, Portals, and Forums are available now. Download today and enter to win an XBOX or Visual Studio .NET. http://aspnet.click-url.com/go/psa00100003ave/direct;at.aspnet_072303_01/01 _______________________________________________ Spamassassin-talk mailing list [EMAIL PROTECTED] https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/spamassassin-talk