On Thu, Sep 11, 2003 at 04:36:02PM -0400, Steven W. Orr wrote:
> that I can just add?

The point is moot. Sobig.F expired on 10-Sep-2003, due to an
internal timebomb.

That being said, SpamAssassin-2.55 caught Sobig.F just fine for
me, no local tuning required.

See http://vvv.koehntopp.de/rrd/krismailsize-1month.png for some
fancy graphics (I count Spam for each day and reset the mailbox
on midnight, thus the spikes). I get about 2 megs of regular
Spam a day, and got 80-120 megs a day during the Sobig.F wave.
This is for a single mail address (albeit one that is ancient
and well indexed in Google and Google Groups, and in many people
address books, thus the volume of Spam I receive).

See http://vvv.koehntopp.de/spamstat/ for another type of
statistics, showing nicely the very sharp Sobig.B spike around
day 100. Sobig.B was able to load the second and third stage
payloads from its built in web server lists, turning the
infected hosts sucessfully into Spam Multiplier and DDoS Zombie
networks as well as banking keyloggers. Second and third stage
Sobigs do not spam any more, thus the spike is very sharp and
pronunced.

Sobig.F was not able to get second and third stage payloads,
thus producing a much wider and higher spike around day 240,
because all the infected first stage systems were spamming at
record rates, and no mechanism besides the timed shutdown was
available to keep them off the net.

Note how neither Antivirus program vendors nor
Antiterror/Cyberthreat agencies nor local providers had a
useable strategy to deal with this: The spike goes on for three
weeks straight, producing a 60-fold increase in mail volume for
my address until the end. There is currently no mechanism at all
that is part of the Internet which can lock out machines that
are dangerous or detrimental to the functions of the network.
There are no processes in place that identify users of infected
systems and keep them off the network.

It is pure luck and the foresight of the Sobig.F author to
timebomb his experimental cyberweapon that we still have a
functioning network.

Kristian