I'll give this a stab.....

-----Original Message-----
From: Steve Frazier [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wednesday, September 17, 2003 10:08 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: [SAtalk] Questions for a newbie

>I have read the FAQ and I have some questions.  I just joined the list and
appreciate any help >that anyone would offer.

>I installed RH 9.0.  It has Spamassassin installed along with sendmail.
There has been talk about procmail, does that mean Spamassassin doesn't work
with sendmail?

I may get this horribly wrong but here goes:

Sendmail is the MTA (Mail transfer Agent) and Procmail is the MDA (Mail
delivery agent). They do seperate things. They can be used together or
seperatley.

>How do I add users to whitelist?

Judging by the previous question it depends on how you setup SA.

>How do I add users to black list - or is this automatic?

See above

>Does Spamassassin just "mark" the email as SPAM or does it delete it with
the out of the box install on RedHat 9?

SA never deletes, only marks.

>Is it automatically turned on?

Is what turned on? SA has to be either run in background (spamd) or called
every time.

>If I want to "filter" email through my RedHat box before it's delivered to
another box like Exchange will Spamassassin do that or does Spamassassin
even look at mail that comes in and then is forwarded out?

This is a big question. I do exactly this. However there are MANY ways of
doing this setup, though I found little documentation on it. I'm going to
write up what I did soon at www.exit0.us , but yes you can do this.

>I know this is a lot of questions, but they are the first ones that come to
mind.

>Thanks in advance.

>Steve

HTH
Chris Santerre
System Admin and SA Custom Rules Emporium keeper
http://www.merchantsoverseas.com/wwwroot/gorilla/sa_rules.htm
"A little nonsense now and then, is relished by the wisest men." - Willy
Wonka

>Do you Yahoo!?
NO, I don't! And who are you to ask what I do? I google!