On Fri, 19 Sep 2003, Bruce Pennypacker wrote:

> Jim wrote:
> > On Thu, Sep 18, 2003 at 11:00:40PM +0500, Ivar Magne Auestad wrote:
> >
> >>You are writing in the FAQ that you don't focus on viruses, but I have a
> >>suggestion. It would be very easy to add attachment type as a qualifyer.
> >>Very many viruses are attached as .pif-files or double extention
> >>attachments (document.doc.exe) or refered to as inline mime code. This
> >>would remove quite some prosent of the viruses spread.
> >

> > Set yourself a higher score for the "MICROSOFT_EXECUTABLE" test.
>
> The problem I'm finding with the latest worm is that sometimes the MIME
> attachment for the actual worm isn't included in the e-mail.  I've
> already set MICROSOFT_EXECUTABLE high but I'm still getting a few
> e-mails an hour that consist of the worms e-mail without the worm
> actually attached.  Since there's no executable SA isn't filtering these
>   properly.  So relying on this as a method to block worms like this
> doesn't always work.

I seeing this also. A message I saw on another list earlier today stated
that there seemed to be a bug in the virus that sometimes allowed it to send
its message without the exe. as a result the virus scanners were missing it.

HTH,

--
......Tom               Registered Linux User #14522    http://counter.li.org
[EMAIL PROTECTED]       My current SpamTrap ------->    [EMAIL PROTECTED]