I was thinking of all the traffic and many problems with the whole RBL thing..

Why not just maintain the databases in real time as they are now but.. Instead of everyone querying them in real time why not do a wget or something once every 24 hours to pull the DB down to your own server. This is just one retrieval a day, all lookups would be done locally on the mail server own disk. MUCH faster and I for one figure that data that’s 24 hours or less old is plenty new enough especially considering how much this would speed up the mail and decongest the traffic everywhere.

There could be MANY mirrors setup to distribute the list, all mirrors will be updated every 24 hours with the latest file.

This would also make the list that much less vulnerable to DDOS attacks and such.

OK, so I must be missing something here.. I can’t be the first one to come up with this right?

Thanks,

  Todd Routhier

  Lightwave Technologies, LLC.

--