Howdy all,

It's been noticed that more mid-sized sites are using the DCC
with SA.  This is potentially very cool, as it means the pool
of checksums will grow, providing better bulk detection for all
participating sites and clients.

However (yeah, there's a BUT here :), it seems that there are
numerous sites that aren't poking the necessary holes in their
firewalls, thereby wasting their bandwidth, as well as bandwidth
on the DCC server side.

For proper DCC client to remote server functioning, the following
will do the trick:

 allow udp local gt 1023 to remote 6277
 allow udp remote 6277 to local gt 1023

Here's some semi-boilerplate* info I've sent a few sites:

-------------
Your organization's DCC clients appears to be behind a firewall that
allows outgoing UDP packets to distant port 6277 but filters responses
from those same distant UDP port 6277.  As a result, the retransmission
mechanisms in the DCC client code try hard but never get answers.

It might help to think of port 6277 like port 53.

Feel free to use the public DCC servers, but please fix your firewall.
It is increasing your DCC traffic by about 50 times.
-------------

I'm hopeful that a "do firewall $foo for DCC" in the SA docs, plus
this friendly reminder, will help some or most sites that haven't
yet realized that they are rejecting DCC query responses.

Best regards,

Dave

PS - for specific firewall configuration info, please consult the
documentation/readme/man pages/etc for your site.

PPS - I'm not subscribed to Spamassassin-talk, so if you want me to
see your reply, please cc me :)

* boilerplate verbiage provided by Vernon