All the documentation for version 2.60 says that autowhitelist is turned on by default and that by default the autowhitelist is stored in each users config directory (e.g. ~/.spamassassin/autowhitelist)

When I installed spamassissin, it installed with no problem and is doing a great job of filtering spam once I trained it with sa-learn. However, spamassassin is not creating an AWL for future comparisons. Is there a way to debug what is going wrong? Or is there something I need to do to turn on AWL? I tried adding 'user_auto_whitelist 1' to the user_prefs file, but it still didn't activate the AWL.

Are there any special permissions needed on the directory? I chmod 777 on the directory just in case that was blocking spamassassin from creating/modifying the file, but to no avail.

Is there a way that spamassassin logs what it is doing? debugging information?

Thanks to anyone who can help!

Sincerely,
Andrwe