How do you call SpamAssassin?  Please be specific with your answer.  :)
If you use spamc/spamd it defaults to only scanning up to 250kb,
configurable with the -s switch.  No config file necessary, you set it
as a switch on the line that you call spamc with.
http://www.spamassassin.org/doc/spamc.html