So I'm loving the rules http://spamhammers.nxtek.net/ that Jennifer
Wheeler wrote , but I'm up against a few (philosophical?) questions, and
would like to invite discussion.

I've noticed that about 95% of the time when these rules are hit,
they're listed as BAYES_99.  In this case, should I even bother?  I
guess they ensure that the 5% that are not BAYES_99 have more of a
chance of getting fed back into Bayes because of it, and that's A Good
Thing.

I've also considered dumping spammers at the MTA level before they are
even passed to SpamAssassin, using a homebrew RBL or something.  The
good part of this is that it would save traffic on my Postfix/SA gateway
box, then my AV box, then my mailserver (drive space here, too) itself.
The bad part is that these spams would then never get learned by Bayes.
I do blacklist defunct users at the Postfix level, and that actually cut
my spam traffic by over 50% by itself, but again this stuff never gets
learned in Bayes.

Has anyone else juggled these questions?

-tom