Just to echo Todd's suggestions.  Disk I/O is your primary issue.  I
recommend using RAID mirroring instead of RAID 5 since RAID5 has such
crappy write performance.  Physical memory is important if your box is
slow enough to queue up multiple spamd processes, but any modern machine
will clear them quickly and memory is cheap.

My main SA box is a 2.4GHz P4 (Dell 600SC) with an IDE RAID0 mirror (3ware
card) and 512mb of memory and it does everything in about .28 seconds.