Well, I just upgraded the RAM on this server to 1GB, and if anything, the
proc load went up.  At times, it was over 50.00, usually in the high
30.'s.  Limiting the number of spamd's seems to have abated the crashes,
but the smtp performance is so poor that I was getting inundated with
complaints from people trying to send email out.

For now, I've had to turn off spamd, which brought the load back to an
average of 3.0 to 8.0.  I tried sym linking to the perl-5.005 and mv'ing
5.80, but that didn't seem to help much, so I think the only way to deal
with this is to offload SA to a different box than the pop3/smtp server.

PITA.

On Tue, 28 Oct 2003, Roger Merchberger wrote:

> At 08:24 10/28/2003 -0500, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>
> [[ Dude! Long time, no read... but who could forget an email address like
> yours... ;-) ]]
>
> >For the past couple of weeks or so, like most of you, I've seen total spam
> >volume almost double again.  At this point, the server in question (dual
> >PIII-550 L440GX)
>
> How much RAM? I had a problem with this as well, between doing RBL lookups
> (using RBLSMTPD, not SA), a load of valid mail, a whopping load of spam,
> and an Athlon 1800+, 2 SCSI disks & 512Meg of ram, I saw a load of +120! I
> have no idea how the system had enough oomph left to even show me that...
> but rebooting didn't even help; I had barely enough time to get logged back
> in before it went into a tailspin...
>
> Tossed in *another* 512Meg of RAM & rebooted yet again -- memory spiked to
> about 875Meg used -- sat there for about 30 seconds (but load stayed <
> 4.00), then slowly started coming down to around 375Meg...
>
> Either try limiting the number of spamd instances you have running, or poke
> in some more RAM... should do the trick...
>
> HTH,
> Roger "Merch" Merchberger
>
> --
> Roger "Merch" Merchberger   | JC: "Like those people in Celeronville!"
> sysadmin, Iceberg Computers | Me: "Don't you mean Silicon Valley???"
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]          | JC: "Yea, that's the place!"
>                              | JC == Jeremy Christian

James Smallacombe                     PlantageNet, Inc. CEO and Janitor
[EMAIL PROTECTED]                                                           http://3.am