On Fri, 7 Nov 2003, Maarten J H van den Berg wrote:

> I eventually found the reason for this behaviour after I noticed that root
> could start it okay, but the unpriv user spamd couldn't...:
>
> machine:~ # ls -la /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.6.0/Mail/SpamAssassin
> drwx------    2 root     root          942 Nov  7 11:45 .

Try setting your "umask" to 022 before doing any installs. ;)

Other good rule of thumb, always test out a new installation as the
user who will ultimatly run the stuff. Good way to catch permissions &
path problems. (I ran into the exact same problem when I did my first SA
upgrade. ;)

[snip..]
> I'll try to find out which step exactly triggers this.  In the meantime, I
> get bitten by some very lame dependancies which invariably lead to
> CPAN.pm attempting to install perl 5.8 (I have 5.6).  I don't understand
> this. In the first place it doesn't give me any choice to skip the
> install of perl 5.8 as it does with all other packages, secondly the
> Spamassassin faq says perl 5.8 is to be avoided, right ?
> In any case, no matter what, I'll not allow such a perl upgrade on a
> production system cause I can not afford to break things.

IIRC, this was due to a bug in one of the versions of CPAN.
Try updating your CPAN

#include <std_disclaimer.h>