----- Original Message -----
From: "Matt Kettler" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Monday, November 10, 2003 11:55 PM
Subject: Re: [SAtalk] Looking for Rules

So as not to hijack the original thread, I will start a new one.

>  From the perspective of dynablock and NJABL, *any* end-user IP address
> is listed..

Is this true? The DynaBlock documentation says,

"The IP ranges (/24 ranges) that are in our DynaBlock zonefile are based on
a number of criteria and principles:

1. we probe the PTR records for IPs
20/40/60/80/100/120/140/160/180/200/220/240 in each /24
2. all twelve PTR records must have one of the following terms: tnt (uunet
uses these) dial dyn slip ppp ipt (aol uses these) modem dip pool nas cvx
(Nortel dial-up Access Switches) and others"

So, it would seem not *any* end-user IP address is listed, only those who
fit the aforementioned criteria.

Some clarification would be useful. For instance, does a single IP address
get penalized because others in its /24 range are marked as dynamic, whereas
the IP address itself does NOT fit the criteria? My own IP address, for
example, has a legit PTR (mail.asarian-host.net), but others in that /24
range may not have. Fortunately, I am not blocked. But that does not
conclusively answer the question.

And the question to me is relevant. Because I have started blocking dynamic
IP addresses myself (via Milter), but I want things to be "reasonable". That
is, if I find that the PTR of an IP address seems ligit (defined as:
"containing no apparent dynamic markup"), I will not block. From reading the
DynaBlock documentation, it would seems they follow the same policy.

Is there anyone here who has some answers on this matter?

Thanks!

- Mark