At Tue Nov 11 22:30:21 2003, Christopher Kunz wrote:

> I have been initializing our Bayes databases after a system rebuild and
> 2.60 upgrade, and have noticed that feeding it very large mbox files
> causes some undesired behavior - namely an extremely high load of
> between 9 and 12.
>
> This load is rising even further during the course of sa-learn's
> examination of the mbox (which contains maybe 2500 mails and is a
> straight copy from my mozilla), rendering the system nearly unresponsive.
>
> Am I doing something wrong or is this behavior expected?

This is speculation, but:

If your mail system is running while you're doing the import, is it
possible that your mail delivery processes are building up waiting for
a lock which is being held by the sa-learn process?  I believe that
spamassassin/spamd which time out after a few seconds if they can't
get the lock, but if your server is busy enough, you may well get
several processes waiting.

Martin
--
Martin Radford              |   "Only wimps use tape backup: _real_
[EMAIL PROTECTED] | men just upload their important stuff  -o)